Plain and simple damper with only 3 main ingredients. While I much prefer this cooked on a hot rock in the middle of camp fire ashes, it's not bad hot from the oven, either.
- 2 cups self-raising flour.
- 1 tablespoon butter (~15g)
- 1 cup water
- Substitute 1 cup self-raising + 1 cup plain flour.
- Substitute milk for water.
- Add sugar for a more sweet bread.
- Add salt (plain salted butter has enough for me).
- Add dried fruit.
- Add sun-dried tomato.
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, mix flour with dry additions (salt, sugar).
- Rub in the butter (kids love this step, nice and messy).
- Gradually add and mix in the water (or milk), until the mixture turns to a soft but not too sticky dough (kids love this step even more, it's even more messy!).
- Knead and shape into a flattened ball, and place on the baking paper.
- Brush/wetten the top with milk to make a golden crust.
- Bake for roughly 30 minutes, until golden, and until it sounds hollow when tapped with a spoon.